Read With Baby
• Even a brand new infant has quiet, alert, interested moments when she can become fascinated by a board book. Aim for short sessions initially.
• Position Baby in your lap facing book.
• POINT to pictures with a tapping sound. (Learning to point is a milestone later)
• With your hand over baby’s hand, let baby tap and point to the picture.
• TALK about the pictures.
• Let baby see you TURN the page slowly. (Learning to turn pages is a milestone later)
• With assistance, let baby turn the page.
• Read again and again if that is what baby wants. Repetition teaches the brain.
• Stop when baby begins to wiggle, look away, and/or look tired.